Empirical Model Building and Methods SS2013
Course in Summer Term 2013 (89-3153)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. H. Dieter Rombach
- Dr. Andreas Jedlitschka
This lecture provides the basic knowledge that a successful researcher or quality manager needs today. On the basis of practical examples, it shows how to plan and realize empirical methods in software engineering, which empirical methods are used for testing research hypotheses, which empirical methods are used for descriptive modeling of software products and processes, and which empirical methods are used for improving either software product models or software process models. Contents of the class include:
- Definition of the basic terms of empirical / experimental software engineering
- The procedure of experimentation
- Formulation of hypotheses
- Design of empirical studies
- Acquisition, validation and analysis of data
- Interpretation of data
- Empirical modelling
- Examples of concrete empirical studies
- Wohlin, C. , Runeson, P., Höst, M., Ohlsson, M., Regnell, B., Wesslén, A.: Experimentation in Software Engineering: An Introduction, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000
- Boehm, Rombach, Zelkowitz (Eds): Foundations of Empirical Software Engineering – Legacy of Victor R. Basili, Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2005
- Juristo, N., and Moreno, A.: Basics of Software Engineering Experimentation, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001
- Contact Information
- Classes: Mi, 13:45 - 15:15, Room 48-462, weekly, starting April 24th, 2013
- More information: see KIS
- Exercises: Fr, 13:45am - 15:15pm, starting May 10th, 2013 at Z13.07 KMU-Center, Fraunhofer IESE
- Exam: Written examination 06.08.2013 09:30h - 12:00h 52-206
- Prerequisites for the final examination are a successful design and presentation of an empirical study, and a regular active participation in exercise class.
- Prerequisites: This class builds upon the contents of "Foundations of Software Engineering", which can be attended in parallel.
- Everyone who needs to be graded or needs a certificate for the lecture but haven't submit personal information yet, please register here. Please submit your registration to the lecture before May 1st, 2013.
All the materials (lecture slides, exercise sheets etc.) will be available here during the lecture time.